RSS

Naked Souffle

24 Jun
Sam, in his natural state

Sam, in his natural state

We cannot, alas, always have as much energy as we’d like. Although Sam might disagree with that statement. He seems perfectly satisfied to sleep away 90% of the day, to wake up around 5 pm, as meal time approaches and whine continuously at me until I feed him, supported by his sister, who whines in harmony (or cacophony, depending on how much you like cat yowling), using up the other 10% of the day and 80% of his energy.

So this is for those of you who can’t lift yourself from the sofa, but still want to eat something sweet, but which won’t send you into the death spiral of guilt. Discovered this one a few days ago, ironically on a blog named “Jules Food;” I was attracted by the fact that it boasted “Greek Yogurt.” We have a lot of Greek yogurt in our household these days, not only because it’s yummy, but because it seems to have become a snack food of choice, together with drizzled honey and almonds.

Souffle about to be baked

Souffle about to be baked

I’ve dubbed this one the “naked souffle” because of its reasonable calorie (80!) count as well as the fact that it tastes just as good completely devoid of a topping, although we were more than happy to eat it with a quickly assembled fresh raspberry and rosehip jam sauce.

Naked Souffle

Naked Souffle

From start to plate-licking finish, I think I spent about 31 minutes: 15 minutes assembling, 15 minutes baking, 1 minute scarfing it down. Ok, perhaps two – it was hot. In other words: fast and easy. Jules’ recipe is over here. Only around 6 ingredients, because I skipped the cream of tartar (didn’t have any), without any negative consequences. Two small bowls for mixing. And I cut the recipe down to 1/3, as I didn’t need six souffles, which was also easy and fine.

For the raspberry topping, I just heated a tablespoon or so of the jam in a saucepan with a bit of water, a drizzle of honey and a handful of raspberries for about 5 minutes, stirring and waiting until the raspberries disintegrated a bit. You can do this while the souffle bakes – no extra time needed. At the end, I spooned the sauce on the souffles and threw on a few more raw berries. Perfect. Garnish with mint leaf and you’re no longer naked…

Finished souffle with raspberries

Finished souffle with raspberries

10 seconds later…almost gone.

Few bites later

Few bites later

 

 

Advertisements
 

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: